Data from the DealForma database and an analysis were prepared for a story published in Endpoints News looking at top dealmakers in recent biopharma partnerships. We applied certain criteria to filter for deals involving major R&D and commercial rights, namely licensing of biotech, pharmaceutical, medical device, diagnostic, and technology platforms. This gave us an initial set of over 950 deals form January 2017 to August 2018 among the broader set of 12,000+ deals. We then sorted by upfront cash payments, overall deal values, deal counts, and applied our experience in context to produce tables of top companies and their deal totals.
- The top 10 companies paid over $6.5 billion of the $11 billion-plus in total upfront cash in the 20 months since the beginning of 2017 – 60% of the total from 10 companies.
- This was among 131 deals in the group and $51.3 billion in overall deal value
- We could have added 12 more companies to the list and still see deals with $100 million or more paid up front
- Companies – Large biopharma companies in-licensing or paying for the option to license
- Deals – Development and commercialization deals for technology platforms, preclinical and later compounds (Phase I, Phase II, Phase III, and Approved), medical devices, and diagnostics (full list of criteria in the DealForma platform).
Story Published in Endpoints News: Read the story
Want data for your analysis? Want us to do it? Subscribers get both.
Schedule your demo of the DealForma database to see how we help you get better reports done faster.
Specifically for Biotech, Pharma, Device, and Diagnostics
DealForma is the biopharma database providing you comprehensive information and analyst support hours to help you be more confident using quality data in your business development research.