Gene therapy deals, R&D partnerships, and acquisitions have been showing annual gains through 2018 and are on track to keep up the record in 2019. The recent approval of Novartis’ Zolgensma gene therapy for spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) was a good chance to look at the business development behind what are now looking like high-priced treatments. Data from the DealForma database and an analysis were prepared for a story published in Endpoints News.
We covered dealmaking, venture funding, M&A, and academic partnerships specifically looking at R&D for gene therapies and related vector technologies. We did not include gene editing in this focused analysis, nor recombinant DNA/RNA, cell therapies, or biologics.
This gave us an initial set of 256 academic partnerships, M&A, and corporate biopharma deals form January 2008 to June 14, 2019 among the broader set of 16,000+ deals. Add to that the 120 venture rounds in gene therapy focused biotech companies since 2010. Highlights below:
- 114 Corporate R&D deals; Over $1 billion in upfront cash and equity; $18 billion in deal value
- 27 Acquisitions; $18 billion up front; $20 billion in total value
- 115 University/foundation partnerships, grants, spin-offs; $100 million in upfront cash; $300 million in total value, plus $2 billion in total value for the 2016 Biogen/Upenn partnership
- 120 Venture rounds from Seed through Series A and beyond up to IPO
- $5 billion raised since 2010 with half of that in the last 18 months
- Over $3 billion to companies with only a platform or preclinical therapy
- Biopharma Deals – R&D and commercialization deals for gene therapy and related vector technology platforms (adeno-associated viral (AAV) vectors, lentiviral vectors), preclinical and later compounds (Phase I, Phase II, Phase III, and Approved). A full list of criteria is available in the DealForma platform.
- Mergers & Acquisitions – Active and completed M&A deals for gene therapy and vector companies. Excludes terminated deals.
- Academic Research Partnerships and Grants – Gene therapy patent licenses, research grant programs, and sponsored research programs.
- Venture Funding – Seed and Series A through F and beyond (pre-IPO) venture funding of gene therapy and vector-focused companies. Excludes loans and debt financing.
Story Published in Endpoints News: Read the full story with all of the charts
Run your own analysis with your DealForma access.
Want data for your analysis? Want us to do it? Subscribers get both.
Schedule your demo of the DealForma database to see how we help you get better reports done faster.
Specifically for Biotech, Pharma, Device, and Diagnostics
More Research by DealForma
Celgene was among the top investors in cancer biotech companies. This is a look at the top 10 since 2010.
Life Sciences M&A started with a bang in 2019 with one of the biggest deals to date – Bristol-Myers Squibb will acquire Celgene for $74 billion. We mined DealForma’s extensive database for historical M&A trends in biopharma, medical devices, and diagnostics to get an idea of what might lie ahead in 2019.
Innovative biotech companies are in a stronger position today as far as the value of their assets. We look at oncology deal payments by stage at signing.
Global biotechnology venture investment topped $11.8 billion in 258 financing rounds in the first 10 months of 2018. Who are the top biotech venture investors, where are they investing their money, and what are they investing in?
Location, Location, Location: Real estate costs a lot in the three largest biotech hubs, but it’s a charm for raising capital. Biotech companies raised $37.4 billion globally in 1027 rounds of venture financing over the past four years from 2015 through the third quarter of 2018 and companies located in the San Francisco Bay Area, greater Boston area, and San Diego County accounted for 55 percent of the total raised and 46 percent of the financing activity.
Pharma deal upfront cash payments made for development and commercialization with biotech, device, diagnostics, and technology platform companies.
You met on Zoom. Now it's Deal Time.
With thousands of company profiles and a decade of deals specifically in biopharma and medtech, you'll take the guesswork out of deal comps. Schedule your customized demo to see how DealForma helps you win that term sheet with better data.