September 2021 Top Biopharma Deal: REGENXBIO – AbbVie for RBX-314 for wet AMD, diabetic retinopathy
Top Biopharma Partnership by Upfront Cash and Equity
REGENXBIO development and commercialization deal with AbbVie for RGX-314
Announced: September 13, 2021
Total Deal Value: $1,750M
Upfront Cash: $370M
Upfront Equity: n/a
Option Payments: n/a
Milestones: $1,380M (Dev., Reg., and Sales)
Royalty: Tiered ex-U.S.
Cost and Profit Split: 50% in U.S.
Phase II RGX-314 for wet age-related macular degeneration (wet AMD), diabetic retinopathy, and other chronic retinal diseases.
Development and Commercial License
Co-Development and co-promotion option.
- REGENXBIO granted AbbVie exclusive, worldwide rights to develop and commercialize RGX-314 for the treatment of wet AMD, diabetic retinopathy, and other chronic retinal diseases.
- REGENXBIO will be responsible for completion of the ongoing trials.
- AbbVie and REGENXBIO will share costs on additional trials, including the planned second pivotal trial evaluating subretinal delivery for the treatment of wet AMD and future trials.
- AbbVie will lead the clinical development and commercialization globally.
- REGENXBIO will participate in U.S. commercialization efforts under a mutually agreed upon plan.
- REGENXBIO will receive $370M up front and is eligible for up to $1.38B in development, regulatory, and commercial milestones, plus tiered royalties on net sales of RGX-314 outside the U.S. and 50% of profits in the U.S.
The Deal of the Month for August 2021 was RemeGen and Seagen’s HER2 ADC deal with $200M up front for Disitamab Vedotin. Read about it here.
DealForma’s Deal of the Month selection is based on the largest disclosed upfront cash and equity total in partnership deals involving R&D as announced in the month prior to this article. Data for this analysis was compiled using the DealForma biopharma deals database. All data are based on publicly disclosed figures and deal terms. We invite you to answer interesting questions on biopharma business development and licensing using our data and carefully curated profiles on deals, pipelines, companies, funding, and business executives by visiting dealforma.com to schedule your personalized demo.
Want data for your analysis? Want us to do it? Subscribers get both.
Schedule your demo of the DealForma database to see how we help you get better reports done faster.
Specifically for Biotech, Pharma, Device, and Diagnostics
Get more done.
Stop cleaning data or getting lost in legacy databases. We built DealForma to help you be better and faster at business research. Schedule your customized demo to see how DealForma helps you impress your boss and sign-off early.
More Research by DealForma
Innovative biotech companies are in a stronger position today as far as the value of their assets. We look at oncology deal payments by stage at signing.
Global biotechnology venture investment topped $11.8 billion in 258 financing rounds in the first 10 months of 2018. Who are the top biotech venture investors, where are they investing their money, and what are they investing in?
Location, Location, Location: Real estate costs a lot in the three largest biotech hubs, but it’s a charm for raising capital. Biotech companies raised $37.4 billion globally in 1027 rounds of venture financing over the past four years from 2015 through the third quarter of 2018 and companies located in the San Francisco Bay Area, greater Boston area, and San Diego County accounted for 55 percent of the total raised and 46 percent of the financing activity.
Pharma deal upfront cash payments made for development and commercialization with biotech, device, diagnostics, and technology platform companies.
You met on Zoom. Now it's Deal Time.
With thousands of company profiles and a decade of deals specifically in biopharma and medtech, you'll take the guesswork out of deal comps. Schedule your customized demo to see how DealForma helps you win that term sheet with better data.